If you are a regular reader of top blogs, you would have seen they display the RSS subscribers, Facebook fans, Twitter followers and YouTube subscribers as a text counter on the sidebars or in the post/page content area. If you also want to use the subscribers text counter, you need to have a WordPress blog. This is all done by a simple plugin that lets you display your social subscribers, fans and followers. This plugin never slow down your blog as counters are cached in your database and are refreshed once per two hours. You don’t require any other third party plugin to show your social connections as their counters get all data from the external websites that slow down your page speed. Therefore, here is how to display subscribers text counters in WordPress widget or content area.
Facebook fans, Twitter followers and FeedBurner RSS Subsriber Text Counter
- Download Subscribers text counter from WordPress.org (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/subscribers-text-counter/). Install it to your desktop.
- Now, upload this plugin to your WordPress, and activate it. [ Method: Install Plugin to WordPress » http://www.easible.org/install-plugins-to-wordpress-filezilla/]
- Once you have activated, go to Settings » Subscribers Text Counter, and write down your Twitter, FeedBurner, Facebook and YouTube username. Finally, click on Update Settings.
- Once you update the settings, you will see the cached data by this plugin of your counters that will be show on your blog (look at below to the settings). These data will update once in each two hours. However, you may update these data anytime by clicking on Refresh Counters Now.
*If you are using FeedBurner service, and want to display your subscribers counter do not forget to go to your FeedBurner account » Choose your Feed » Publicize. Activate your Email Subscription & FeedCount services.
- Now, go to WordPress Dashboard » Appearances » Widgets. You would see an additional widget Subscribers Text Counter. Just drag and drop this widget to your sidebar area and save it.
Customization: Subscribers Text Counter
You may customize the look of this counter in very simple steps. In your widget, this plugin uses the inline style sheet so that you can modify it easily. We have considered some following points you should consider it.
- Skip a counter: Let you don’t want to display FeedBurner subscribers count or YouTube subscribers count in your widget area. Look at the code in your Subscribers Count Text widget. For each counters, you would see the code similar as,
<a style="" href=""><img style="" scr=""/>%twitter% Followers</a>
you can easily find out the targeted code by its href attribute i.e., for Twitter the value of href will be %twitterlink%. If you don’t wish to add Twitter counter, delete the associated code as mention above on your widget code.
- Change Font Size: The whole code wraps between the div tag as,
<div style="text-align: left; font-size: 12px;">Your Subscribers Text Counter Code Here</div>
The default font size is 12px. You may simply change it according to your need.
- Remove Link on Text Counter: Change each or any one subscriber text counter code by
<a style="" href=""><img style="" scr=""/></a> %twitter% Followers
- Remove Link on Image & Text: Simply remove <a> tag as,
<img style="" scr=""/> %twitter% Followers
- Removing Image & Display only Text: Delete all the widget code and paste the following code.
<img src="data:image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAIAAAAAAAP///yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7" data-wp-preserve="%3Cstyle%3E%0A.wpr%20%7B%0Acolor%3A%20%23C61A1A%0A%7D%0A.wpb%20%7B%0Acolor%3A%20%23298CBA%0A%7D%0A%3C%2Fstyle%3E" data-mce-resize="false" data-mce-placeholder="1" class="mce-object" width="20" height="20" alt="<style>" title="<style>" /> <div style="text-align: left; font-size: 18px;line-height:1.6em"> Twitter: <span class="wpb">%twitter%</span> <span class="wpr">Followers</span> Facebook: <span class="wpb">%facebook%</span> <span class="wpr">Fans</span> FeedBurner: <span class="wpb">%feedburner%</span> <span class="wpr">Subscribers</span> YouTube: <span class="wpb">%youtube%</span> <span class="wpr">Subscribers</span> WordPress: <span class="wpb">%wordpress%</span> <span class="wpr">Members</span> Total Readers: <span class="wpb">%all%</span> <span class="wpr">Readers</span> </div>
The preview of above code is,
- You may use these subscribers text counter in your post/page.
- To display Counter: use [stcounters type=”twitter”].
- To display Link: use [stcounters type=”twitterlink”].
- To display Clickable Link: use the following code in the HTML mode of your WordPress post editor.
*** Change stcounters to stcounter in all three codes, following & above codes.
<a href="[stcounters type='twitterlink']"> [stcounters type="twitter"] followers on Twitter</a>
- You may also use these counters in your template files too. Just use tags like this: <?php echo stcounter(‘twitter’) ?>