Do you want to delete your all trackback comments on your WordPress blog? This post will guide you to delete all existing trackback & pingback comments inside your WordPress blog, and a guide to disable these features for the future & all existing published posts. If this feature is turned on, you may have the ability to check who is linking to your articles. Later, you may approve this trackback to show it as a comment in your WordPress post. To completely follow the post you have to work in the following ways:
- Delete all existing trackback comments inside your WordPress blog.
- Disable Trackbacks/Pingbacks on WordPress for the future posts.
- Disable Trackbacks/Pingbacks on existing WordPress posts.
Let us see that what is trackback or pingback on WordPress.
What is a Trackback?
Trackback is a communication median between websites through the bloggers similar as one person saying to another. For example:
– I write a post on our WordPress blog.
– You will then write a post on your blog, and send a trackback to our blog post.
-I will receive your trackback, and choose to display it as a comment or not. This trackback will show with a title, excerpt and a linkback to your blog post in which you have mentioned our blog post link.
What is a Pingback?
Pingback is a communication median between websites through the software similar as one person saying to another. For example:
-I write a post on our WordPress blog.
– You will then write a post on your blog with a linkback to our blog post.
-Your blogging software will automatically send us a pingback.
– Our blogging software will receive your pingback, and have the ability to display your pingback as a comment or not with a linkback to your article in which you have mentioned our blog post link.
How to Delete all Trackback Comments on WordPress blog
- Login into your WordPress Dashboard » Comments, click on Screen Options to display 200 comments. Finally, click on Apply.
- According to the image above, search your comment with the phrase “[…]” without quotes, you will see your trackback comments. If you don’t wish these comments on your WordPress blog, select all and delete them.
Disable Pingbacks & Trackbacks Comments on WordPress Blogs
- Login into your WordPress Dashboard » Settings » Discussion. Uncheck “Allow link notifications from other blogs(pingbacks and trackbacks)”Scroll down the page and click on Save Changes.
- It will disable pingbacks & trackbacks to the blog posts, you will publish in the future. However, it will not disable this feature in the existing posts.
Disable Trackbacks & Pingbacks on Existing WordPress Posts
Before doing anything, I would recommend you to make a backup of your WordPress’s database. This method requires you to run a MySQL query.
- Sign into your WordPress’s hosting server provider (Basically in cPanel). (I am using Bluehost in this example)
- Click on phpMyAdmin under Databases.
- If you have more than one WordPress installed on your server, choose the database of the desired WordPress. How to choose the database correspond to the desired WordPress? Simply, choose each database, and look at the table name you will find the plugin name on that table which has already installed in your WordPress.On the left panel, choose the correct database. We have chosen correct one because an author advertising plugin is installed in our WordPress blog. Now, click on SQL.
Copy the below code,
UPDATE wp_posts SET ping_status='closed' WHERE post_status = 'publish' AND post_type = 'post'; UPDATE wp_posts SET ping_status='closed' WHERE post_status = 'publish' AND post_type = 'page';
Paste this code, and run it with your SQL query as mention on the above image. Finally, Click on Go.
- If you have done all the steps mention above, your existing posts will have disabled the trackbacks functionality. I am very thankful to Mr. Syed Balkhi, who has given this awesome tip on WPBeginner.